AtoZ Blogging Challenge – Natural

17 Apr

2017atozDuring the month of April, I’ll be participating in the 2017 Blogging from A to Z Challenge. For this year’s theme, I chose to look at leadership qualities as I’ve just recently (within the past 6 months) become the director of my public library. We have about 50 staff members, most of whom are part-time employees serving a 30,000 resident community by providing high-quality programs and resources. Each day, I’ll look at one trait and how it’s helped me to become a better director.

I try very hard to act like myself when interacting with my staff and community. Although my community is not small, it is not uncommon to see library families at the grocery store, getting ice cream or even just walking my dog in the neighborhood. Does this get bothersome some times? Yes – I’d love to not have to think about what I throw on to go for a run or what types of questions I’ll get when I work out at the gym. But, at the same time, I love that my community sees me at the middle school theatre production or at church or wherever I am in the community – they can see me in my “natural” element and hopefully that shows that although I’m the library director, I’m also a part of this community. And that I really do try very hard to create a place where I want to live, work and play, just like they’re doing.

I still act as a professional while at work and yes, even when I’m seen in the community, but I like having the type of relationship where I see families when I’m outside mowing my lawn, some of the kids know where I live and others know my boyfriend who was raised in this community. It gives me a sense of community and I like that.

Advertisements

7 Responses to “AtoZ Blogging Challenge – Natural”

1. Mandy April 17, 2017 at 10:56 am #

It’s wonderful that you have such a big role in your community as library director! And it’s even better that the people in your community see you taking part in things outside of your work role. I do question whether or not most people recognize and/or know who the library director is in the community, though. I know that I, for one, have no idea who is in charge of the library in my community. :-/ It’s not that it’s not an important role, but it’s more that other roles tend to be more publicized – such as anybody involved directly in politics (especially recently). I do feel that libraries should have a bigger role in society, though. What better way to learn about the world than to visit the library?

With Love,
    Mandy

• literacious April 17, 2017 at 11:48 am #

Thanks for commenting! I agree, the library director is often working on larger scale projects away from the public eye, but because I was a children’s librarian in this community before I became the library director, I still know a lot of families, which is awesome!

2. Outside Perception April 17, 2017 at 11:36 am #

I’m betting they like to see you too

• literacious April 17, 2017 at 11:49 am #

My favorite is when I hear a little voice at the grocery store – “That was Miss Laura!” So cute!

3. Donna (@Girl_Who_Reads) April 17, 2017 at 4:26 pm #

I work with a children’s basketball program and I see families around town. We try to emphasize that we are about more than basketball and that we really care about them as members of the community so it is great to see them in everyday life. Girl Who Reads

• literacious April 17, 2017 at 4:45 pm #

I love that! And it’s so true, I think, especially with kids, they just want to know that you hear them and you care. It can make a huge difference!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Blogging From A to Z April Challenge Survivor | literacious - May 1, 2017

[…] April 13 – Knowledgeable April 14 – Listen April 15 – Mentor April 17 – Natural April 18 –Opportunities April 19 – Passion April 20 – Quiet April 21 – Rest […]