Elementary STEAM: Popcorn Science

19 Nov

popcorn Last week I offered a Popcorn Science class for our Fun Friday program.  I actually had two programs – 1 for 2nd through 4th graders and the other for Kindergarten & 1st graders.

The kids were beyond excited to eat the popcorn, but first I wanted to do a little discussion and sharing.  So we began by sharing everything we already know about popcorn.  As we did, I included questions that would be answered during the program. “How long have people been eating popcorn?” “What makes popcorn pop?”  “Does all corn pop?”

After our discussion, I shared a great NPR video about popcorn and at only a minute and a half, it worked out perfectly.  Then we briefly talked (with the older kids) about states of matter and how once popcorn changes it can’t change back.

After the video, I gave each child a straw and a piece of popcorn.  Then I let them figure out what you can do with it.  The kids usually give me a panicked look to start and then the fun starts, popcorn was literally flying through the air as the kids learned how to shoot it from their straws.  It was a lot of fun to watch.  Finally, we got to the most important part – our taste test.

I popped SO much popcorn during my lunch break.  I made plain popcorn with nothing on it, a batch of popcorn with some garlic and seasoned salt, and a batch of kettle corn.  Each child got to try all three and then we voted on our favorite.

If you want some resources, check out:

Advertisements

7 Responses to “Elementary STEAM: Popcorn Science”

1. mandymarie20 November 19, 2015 at 3:44 pm #

Seems like the perfect opportunity to use ‘The Popcorn Book’ by Tomie dePaola

• literacious November 19, 2015 at 4:58 pm #

I actually did Popcorn by Frank Asch for the younger kids!

2. thislibrarianslife November 20, 2015 at 11:44 am #

What a great program idea! That might be something that we can mix into our Kids Can Cook program!

• literacious November 20, 2015 at 11:48 am #

That sounds fun! What kinds of things do you cook?

• thislibrarianslife November 20, 2015 at 11:49 am #

We try to do some basic things that are quick and easy. Last night they made a dinner roll. The program is cooking, but allows us to sneak in some math and science in a different way!

• literacious November 20, 2015 at 12:10 pm #

That’s awesome! And so many kids grow up being kitchen-illiterate (made up phrase!)

• thislibrarianslife November 20, 2015 at 12:47 pm #

They love the class. We have a couple kids that just love to cook now!