Nonfiction 10 for 10

10 Feb

nonfiction-10-for-10-1

I decided to go with books published in the last year – there are so many nonfiction titles available these days! I love how accessible nonfiction has become for kids. I also chose books that have won some type of award (CYBILS, Nerdies, etc.) and were not solely biographies (that could be an entirely different list). When I was growing up, it was often text-heavy with bad black and white photographs, now nonfiction picture books are bright and exciting to read!

1. Pink Is For Blobfish: Discovering the World’s Perfectly Pink Animals by Jess Keating
  2. Because of an Acorn by Lola M. Schaefer
  3. Coyote Moon by Maria Gianferrari
  4. Maybe Something Beautiful by F. Isabel Campoy
  5. Around America To Win the Vote: Two Suffragists, a Kitten, and 10,000 Miles by Mara Rockliff
  6. Giant Squid by Candace Fleming
  7. The Polar Bear by Jenni Desmond
  8. The Marvelous Thing That Came From a Spring: The Accidental Invention of the Toy That Swept the Nation by Gilbert Ford
  9. Whoosh!: Lonnie Johnson’s Super-Soaking Stream of Inventions by Chris Barton
  10. Animals By the Numbers: A Book of Animal Infographics by Steve Jenkins

Advertisements

6 Responses to “Nonfiction 10 for 10”

1. annettepimentel February 10, 2017 at 12:26 pm #

And the text matches the vividness of the illustrations in these books!

2. Ms Victor Reads February 10, 2017 at 8:31 pm #

Love your list and own all but 5 and 7!

3. mandyrobek February 10, 2017 at 9:50 pm #

Thanks for sharing new books with everyone. I know two books, I need to check out the others.

4. Stacey Shubitz February 11, 2017 at 1:41 pm #

Great list!
    I also did a science-themed list. I wish I had Because of an Acorn in my hands sooner. It didn’t arrive until two days ago and my post was already set and ready to be published. Yet again, Lola Schaefer doesn’t disappoint.

5. maryannreilly February 11, 2017 at 5:32 pm #

I must read the Pink Blobfish. I see it on so many lists and it is new to me. Thank you:)

6. Cathy February 12, 2017 at 8:30 pm #

Like you, I love how much more accessible nonfiction texts are for kids. These are great titles. I have purchased several of them this year. I’m going to have to check out Giant Squid. Thanks for joining the event.